The Iowa Crop Performance Tests are gearing up for their 100th year of gauging the yields of hundreds of seed varieties, an annual effort that helps farmers decide what seeds to plant the following year.
AMES, Iowa — The Agronomy Hall auditorium at Iowa State University has been named in honor of a Webster County couple who farmed near Duncombe for many years.
The W. Kiley and Marie Powers Auditorium is located in the southwest corner of Agronomy Hall on the Iowa State campus. The auditorium, which was built as part of an addition to Agronomy Hall in 1986, is used for classes of 120 students, accommodating courses taught across the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the university.
A reception for the naming of the Powers Auditorium was recently held in Agronomy Hall with ISU President Wendy Wintersteen and relatives and friends of the Powers family.
W. Kiley and Marie Powers were Iowa farmers who believed in hard work, agricultural innovation and education. Married in 1943, the couple farmed land that was in the Powers family for more than 100 years. Kiley Powers’ grandfather, Patrick Powers, acquired land making up the farm in 1864 and 1869.
Founded in 1902, the Iowa Crop Improvement Association is a nonprofit organization affiliated with Iowa State University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and designated as the official seed-certifying agency in Iowa.